Well, it’s Sunday morning, and I’m sick at home for like the third day in a row. My husband and I both caught the same awful cold and now we’re in the phase which involves hacking our lungs out, so it’s better to stay home rather than infecting the general population. With all this extra time, I’ve been looking into my tech inquiry. I’m really interested in using video, more specifically Youtube, in bringing authentic speech into the language classroom. As recently as ten years ago, we simply didn’t have the massive linguistic resources on the Internet that we have today. Youtube was in its infancy. But now, we can learn basically anything on Youtube.

First of all, here’s a video from Audrey D., a young Québécoise content creator.  I love how she takes expressions that would commonly be heard in high schools, on TV, and things that she would normally say in daily life. That’s exactly the kind of language I want my students to learn! Moreover, I think this is the kind of content that students would be interested in learning. They’ll be able to express their emotions, vent their frustrations, and use slang just like the average francophone teenager.

There are a few limitations to using this kind of video in class; namely, she doesn’t write her own French subtitles and the auto-generated ones are inaccurate, and also, she doesn’t provide English translations for these expressions. I don’t understand all of them, and it’s hard to find accurate translations for slang because most dictionaries and translators focus more on formal, “correct” language.

Here are some of the expressions that she says during the video (in both Quebec informal language and French informal language):

• Guess what? I have a date tonight!
  • Hey guys, party at our place tonight.
  • Did you see my new outfit?
  • I love you so much!

Next up, we have a video from a guy whose videos I used to watch all the time when I was preparing to visit France and while I was living there. He is from France, but lives in the USA, so his channel used to be called, “Ma vie aux États-Unis.” Now, it seems he’s started vlogging a lot more in English, so he changed his channel name to its English translation: “My life in the United States.” (It doesn’t rhyme anymore but oh well).

I like that he has added full English subtitles to this video. It’s about different types of people on an airplane and how they act. He’s made it humorous and relatable, and after each “type,” he shows a little skit to illustrate his point. I think this would really help with comprehension of the video. I also appreciate how this isn’t explicitly trying to teach language, but students can pick up some new vocabulary nonetheless. However, I do wish there were full French subtitles because I often think using English is a bit of a cop-out with high school students. It’s too easy for them at that level. I suppose what you could do as a teacher is talk about literal translation versus stylistic interpretation. For example, at one point he says “Laisse-moi tranquille!” which he translates below as “Leave me alone!” A literal translation would say “Leave me calm!” But of course, that makes no sense in English!

Another video he made is “Shopping in the USA.” I love this video because it shows a daily activity with key vocabulary words, yet it also demonstrates major cultural differences. Yoann, the Youtuber, is shocked to see that eggs are kept cold. (In France they’re held on a shelf). Moreover, they sell 16 in one container, and they’re white instead of brown! (In France you can buy a teeny tiny container of 6 eggs; it’s very cute). It’s an opportunity to have a conversation about differences between France and North America. We have totally different perspectives on food, and I think we have a lot to learn from French cuisine.

Finally, I just found this video and it made me so happy! I had never encountered this Youtuber before, but she’s a French expatriate living in Montreal. This video was filmed on a trip to Lille, France, where I actually lived during my study abroad. I’m actually jealous because she was there during the Braderie de Lille. It’s a massive flea market and festival which takes place every year during September (and I was never there in September, unfortunately!) This vlog is an open door into exploring a new culture – the north of France. In the video, they eat mussels (the traditional dish of Lille) and of course, drink beer. They explore the wonderful antiques that are on sale throughout the city. This is a great video to show students because of the cultural content and also the amazing visuals.

If I were to show this in a French class, I would incorporate it into some sort of project. I’d ask my students to vlog something, like maybe their makeup routine, or how to change a tire … maybe a cooking tutorial or a trip to a famous landmark nearby. Whatever they’re interested in. They could do a voiceover in French describing what they’re doing, seeing, experiencing, and it would be just like these francophone vloggers.

I realize that this post is getting pretty close to 1000 words, so I think it’s about time to wrap this up. I spent about an hour combing through Youtube and looking for content, and there is just so much available that teachers can use in the classroom and expand into creative, culturally relevant, authentic lessons. I feel inspired now!