So almost a week ago we learned about something called EdCamp, and then we got to test it ourselves. Most professionals, myself included, kind of roll our eyes when we think about going to a conference. At least in my case, I’d much rather spend a weekend relaxing at home or out exploring rather than sitting around listening to someone talk about something boring. But EdCamp is a place where you can pick what you’re interested in and discuss that topic as a group. There’s not really one expert who speaks the whole time and then answers a few questions. Everyone gets to ask questions and then suggest some potential answers.

I liked this format because there was a chance to vote on topics that we found interesting, and when we divided into groups, there was an opportunity to share our own experiences. I chose to go to the topic “keeping hands busy during class” and talked about how that is a constant problem in my tutoring job right now. (My erasers always end up destroyed and crushed into bits). I was able to listen to some suggestions my classmates offered and I heard how they have had similar experiences.

All in all, it was a helpful experience, and gave me some ideas that I might try. I’d probably go to an EdCamp conference if it was in Victoria.